Because I have a Power Systems and Industrial Electronics background this is the easiest part for me.

I start with the main AC power switching and protection, wiring the input to the PT.
Then test the secondary voltages.
When I'm satisfied with the switching and the fuse, I wire the filament and power lamp.
Because the filament wiring is the most tedious I like to get that out of the way first.
Make sure the grounds are connected, most have center-taps for 6.3V as well as hi-voltage.
I test it for shorts, I connect it to the secondary and put power to the sockets.

After I test for voltage I will generally load it up with tubes to see if they lite up.
Once that is all set I move on to the rectifier wiring.
Depending on the circuit I may or may not use diodes on the socket, but the 5v gets tested and connected first.
Then the hi-voltage AC to the tube socket.
Again test for voltage, with no tubes installed.
Once I am satisfied with the wiring there I will generally install a rectifier tube and check the DC output voltage.
The filter caps then get wired, being sure the polarity is correct and they are grounded.

At this point the DC voltage will jump up a bit, and you are all set to begin the turretboard connections.

When I wired my Champ, I had a wire wrong on my power tube socket.
The fuse didn't blow right away, and as long as the volume was turned down, it didn't draw enough current to blow anything.
I had a slo-blo 5A fuse installed, it looked like a 2A when I put it in... (dyslexia?)
I turned it up, the wife called me into the other room, and I came back to a smoke filled kitchen.
I blew the PT as well as the OT.

Alan can give you more details if he can remember.

Anyway, lesson learned, and I now have the sweetest sounding class-A amp you ever heard.
It is well worth it to keep at it, you have it almost done and if you proceed methodically you will get it done OK.

Well worth it in the end. Just go slow.