Blog Comments

Thanks man, I appreciate it. The rectifier is a 5Y3. Glad you’re getting some good tones from it finally. You kinda got me in the mood to build something for myself. I have a chassis I can recycle. I already put in an order with Mouser for the resistors and signal caps.
    Whatever it is it sounds fantastic! I didn't pay too much attention to it, all I really remember is that it was a nice big bottle 6L6, and I had already tried a couple others. I can't even remember what rectifier I had, all the printing seems to be worn off, whatever the combination is it sounds great. Thank you again, without your eagle eyes I would have never gotten this running again.

I tried a new trick with it today, more about that later after I figure it all out...
    That was actually a 6L6GB I sent. You should get a little more break up with it - kinda like a 5881 but more big and round, if that makes any sense.
    Glad you like it. Play the shit out of it!!!
    Time to finalize this entry in the blog!

After an agonizing wait, Alan finally shipped the amp back to me. I will bet anything he was having a blast testing this thing out!
    He was kind enough to send along some extra tubes, and since this is a single-ended 8-pin design, just about anything left over will fit and work. I know I couldn't wait to try all the odds-and-ends I had laying around. Every goddam one of them sounds great in this little amp.

What amazes me is how quiet this thing is. Just the slightest bit of hum, and you need to put your ear up to the speaker to hear it. Of course it is a different story with a guitar plugged in and the amp turned up all the way. OH- You should notice that this amp goes to 12. That is 2 more, int it?

Having just received the amp a day early, I haven't had a chance to try different guitars yet. I also wanna plug in a pedal or two, but so far things are working great. Hard to believe it is only a 5-watt amp. So far I like the 6L6GC big bottle in it...
    Update! Update!
    I play it often. Sounds great! A boost pedal is all I use with it. Too much dirt overwhelms the speaker. A 10" will give you more choices. The 5 watts is perfect for what I use the amp for.
    OMG! I love it!

Like I mentioned, it is almost identical to the Champ 5F1 circuit, so I will bet that it sounds glorious! I have built-in a couple mods into mine already like the larger OT (15W) and @RiverRat has already tried several different finals in it. I am looking for a very specific tone from it, most notably Joe Walsh type of mid gain creaminess.

Do you use this amp a lot? Is it your carry anywhere go-to amp? How does it fare with pedals?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I need an amp I can throw in the back of the truck easily and cart around, something that doesn't weigh too much but still cranks a bit. The GA-5 or 5T is a cool little package, but in my Champ I decided to get a custom-made 10" cab that I think might be a good compromise. I just hope with all the upgrades that it is not too heavy...
    Micky,

I have one of reissue versions of the Gibson;

I replaced the weber speaker w/ an eminence patriot 820H. Sounds great and now the bottom end stays together at full volume. Not a lot of choices for 8" speakers. I bought the damn thing more out of curiosity than anything else. After having it for a year now, I doubt I'll ever sell it.
    So, apparently the Gibson GA-5 is just about the same circuit. I think they called it a Skylark, but anyway it came in several different configurations just like the Champ went thru.

I am itching for one of these, but I fear it is so much like the Champ it won't be worth it. I love the simplicity of it, but this GA-5 is a SS rectified model, and I will bet it has a bit more clean headroom as well. I am pretty sure the GA-5 is the amp Marty McFly cranked in the beginning of Back To The Future...
    I with I could crank it. Living in an apartment, I have to be careful. I did crank the volume all the way for a minute and lightly brushed the strings on my SG. It’s a magical experience for sure. If I had the cab, I might not be in too big a hurry to send it home. I gotta build one of these. I have a 1x12 combo cab if I can find a chassis to fit it.
    Yeah, I have been beating myself up over it for a while now, but now that Alan has saved the day I think I will take some time and relax with a big grin on my face. It is not the first time I have let the smoke outta something, and I imagine it won't be the last. Remind me to post about the time we vaporized a pie tin with a Ham Radio amplifier...

Now all I need to do is convince Alan to wire it for 16-ohms and send it along. I can see him now with a smile on his face cranking out old Aerosmith tunes...
    Don't beat yourself up about it Micky. Sooner or later we all let the smoke out of something.

Nice save Alan.
    The amp is up and running and sounds GREAT! Since it has iron that’s rated for up to 15 watts, I’ve been playing around with different tubes. I have a GE 6L6GB that sounds big and round. I’m probably going to send it with the amp.

I checked the power tube socket and noticed that it didn’t have anything soldered to pin 1. I put a jumper wire between pin 1 and the cathode at pin 8, so now this puppy can run EL34’s and the old metal can 6V6 and 6L6 tubes without the danger of touching the can and getting a nasty shock. Cool!

I love the 5F1/5F2A circuit. It’s simple and sounds huge for what it is. I hope the owner is happy with it. I would be.

New transformers:

With an EL34:
    Time to fess up...

The amp is almost done, but there was a slight detour along the way.
    After mounting the board, and insuring everything was soldered, I fired up the amp.
    Kind of a strange humming, but it didn't look too bad, and the humming was inline as I turned up the volume.
    My wife called me from the other room, and I got up and went to see what she wanted.

I came back just a few moments later, and I could not believe all the smoke coming out of this tiny amplifier.
    Apparently I had something terribly wrong, and now I had let all the smoke out.
    The smoke filled the house and started setting off smoke alarms. I turned off the amp...

After opening all the windows in the middle of a cold winter night, the smoke finally cleared.
    I looked inside the amp, and something had gotten very hot, and had dripped out onto the base of the combo.
    Why hadn't the fuse blown?

Then I found out why... The fuse below is still good.

It is an MDX 5A, slo-blo 5 amp. Why had I installed a 5-amp fuse in a 2-amp holder?
    Apparently I am dyslexic or something, as I didn't even think to re-check it before turning it on.
    I had been working on it on the dining room table, where all my test equipment is downstairs.
    (this incident has inspired me to modify/install my variac in a new enclosure...)

I was so disgusted with myself I threw the amp downstairs behind a pile of other stuff I had screwed up.
    I tried and tried to forget about it, and thought I had succeeded...
    That is, until I started to clean out the junkpile downstairs.

I was looking for items to sell at a flea market, and looked long and hard at the amp.
    I have already invested over $450 into it, and thought about what it might be worth as scrap.
    Parting it out might recover about half of it, but I knew I would take a hellova loss if I did.

I was kinda sure I had let all the smoke out of the transformers, which was really sad.
    These were nice ClassicTone transformers, plus I was sure some of the caps were gone as well.
    I thought about trying to diagnose things, but each time I picked up the amp I got more disgusted with myself.

In steps @RiverRat to the rescue. I had something he wanted, so we worked out a trade.
    He agreed to diagnose the amp, and I agreed to send what he wanted.

So finally he confirmed what I feared the most, that the transformers were shot.
    About $100 later, he has new transformers and should be installing them soon.
    Maybe if he reads this it might inspire him to chime in about his experience with this little amp.

Hopefully he can ship it back soon, and I can provide some final photos of this beautiful little thing.

Then come the modifications...
    I forgot about this blog section. Cool to see pics!

I honestly don't know what this blog thing is all about. Why not just post this on the main forum? I can't even give you a "like".
    Good luck Micky,
    Yes, this has been on hold. For reasons far too numerous to detail here. PM me for the long story...
    Anyway, the build is back on! I am ready to start putting the bottom of the chassis together, and need ideas and a template!
    Stay tuned...
    Any progress?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast